Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First DAYS OF MY LIFE



















































When we woke up on January 13th we had no idea how the day would turn out, or that it would become the greatest day of our lives! Sara Louise decided to bless us 3 weeks early, and we couldn't be happier!


I woke up at 4 am with pain I'd never felt before and wondered if this was really it? After steady contractions I thought I should wake up Nick, who was very calm when I told him we'd be going to the hospital. He had warned me that I would have to be the calm one, but he was great! Probably helped that he was asleep when I told him the big news....We both kept thinking we'd be back in a few hours, so we weren't really rushing. We even contemplated turning around when we were halfway there- I hadn't had a contraction in almost 15 minutes but then a strong one came and to the hospital we kept going!


When we got there at 6 am, they put me on a monitor for an hour or so and then came and told us we were having a baby that day- WOW! Shock, excitement and a little bit of fear hit us all at once. I feel very blessed to have had what I would say were moderate contractions, but nothing severe. They had to talk me into going ahead and getting my epidural at 9 am! Then believe it or not, we actually had a very relaxing morning/ early afternoon, hanging out with Nick's parents, Tony and David, and my sister, Betsy. I caught up on the latest People (would this be the last one I'd read in peace, I wondered?) and Nick watched football- we even napped! The doctor said I was progressing nicely, and at 3 pm it was time to push! By 4:09 Sara Louise was here- and she was beautiful from her first breath!


I did have a little scare with my blood pressure dropping to 58/29, but with a little fluids I was back to being a proud mama again!

In the pictures you can see one of my last pregnant days- I KNEW I couldn't get any bigger!; our elation when she came out and changed our worlds forever; some shots of family and friends sharing in our joy; and our trip home which begins the most wonderful journey we'll ever take. Nick had said all along he didn't think he could stomach cutting the cord, but at the last minute they convinced him! In one picture I'm wearing my "First Place" medal that my 6 year old niece made me- she told me I'd won first place by delivering Sara Louise! (or "Sara Weez" as my 3 year old nephew calls her!)
We are so thankful that God as blessed us with this adorable 7 lb bundle! She loves visitors!

7 comments:

MLS said...

I love her already!

Congratulations, Manleys!

Lauren

Dudley said...

Maggie and Nick-

She is absolutely gorgeous - I can't wait to meet the little cutie. I'm thrilled everything went so well and I'm thinking about your new little family with a big smile.

Love you! Dudley

Unknown said...

Of course, she's beautiful! Congratulations!

Ginny and kiddos said...

Oh, she gets cuter by the day!!! I love her little going-home outfit and bonnet! She looks precious!

What a great idea to do a blog!!!!

Much love,
Ginny

PS I cannot believe I am not there for all of this! WAAH

jmb77vol said...

Just precious! Congratulations!

Courtney Stamps said...

Maggie-you are so right--she really is such a beautiful baby! I can't wait to watch her grow into a little Maggie--good luck Nick::))!! I am so very happy for y'all and you will both make amazing parents. I can't wait to see her again!
much love,
courtney

Unknown said...

How precious is that! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!

Gaines